Monday, August 2, 2010

Magical Mystery Tour: First Stop, Cake

OK, a “long” time ago, I wrote this post about finding my voice. In it, I mentioned I had no luck really coming up with a single topic I wanted to write about. In the end, I came up with the fact that I really write best about me. One o’ the launderettes suggested that they would like to know more about what makes me…well, me.


As you know, life would cease to exist if I were, say, suddenly devoid of my iPod. Not because of the device itself, but because of the music contained on it. For me, music is currency of the soul. It expresses things I do not have words for. Even when lyrics are involved, the actual music adds some inarticulate thing to it that, well, I have no words to describe.

I was listening to music before I was born. My mother was a pianist and I used to lay on the floor beneath the piano (yes, the one that is now in my closet) and close my eyes and let the music wash over me. My uncles and aunt were pianists and composers as well and I was more of a drinker of music. I took piano over the years. I also learned to play clarinet, flute, piccolo, viola briefly, dabbled with a guitar, and begrudgingly played the drums for a few weeks so my little brother could have some rhythm for his blues so-to-speak but it was always a means to an end and what I really enjoyed doing was singing, directing, and listening. Add in the ballet and life was complete. The scientist part didn’t really kick in until later.

So, here goes…with my characteristic disclaimer: IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER!!!!

My very own magical mystery tour of music. We shall begin with a piece of CAKE (see what I did there?).

This is “Love You Madly” from their Comfort Eagle album. I include the lyrics because I like them. You’ll have to get used to the fact that I sometimes quote lyrics if I like them. No set of song lyrics ever hits my personal philosophy of love or life bang on, so usually you have to go with the gist of things in that department, but always the feel of the song is really to my liking. So, where possible I am including links so that you can actually hear the song or see the video when possible.

Oh, and I’ve learned to say something to the effect that these lyrics and music are the sole property of the artist, etc. etc. Actually, the real blah (edited by me to be presentable and accurate in English) is this : Love You Madly Lyrics by Cake are the property of the respective authors, artists and labels. Love You Madly Lyrics by Cake are provided for educational purposes only. If you like the song, please buy the relative CD. (Which I have).


Love You Madly

I don’t want to wonder
If this is a blunder
I don’t want to worry whether
We’re gonna stay together
’till we die

I don’t want to jump in
Unless this music’s thumping
All the dishes rattle in the cupboards
When the elephants arrive

I want to love you madly
I want to love you now
I want to love you madly, way
I want to love you, love you
Love you madly

I don’t want to fake it
I just want to make it
The ornaments look pretty
But they’re pulling down the branches
Of the tree

I don’t want to think about it
I don’t want to talk about it
When I kiss your lips
I want to sink down to the bottom
Of the sea

I want to love you madly
I want to love you now, yeah
I want to love you madly, way
I want to love you, love you
Love you madly

I don’t want to hold back
I don’t want to slip down
I don’t want to think back to the one thing that I know I
Should have done

I don’t want to doubt you
Know everything about you
I don’t want to sit across the table from you
Wishing I could run

I want to love you madly
I want to love you now
I want to love you madly, way
I want to love you, love you
Love you madly

I found this song at a weird time in life. It was at a time when I did love some one madly, but they did not love me. And they should have. I knew it. So. Life is like that sometimes. Oddly enough, the song cheered me up. It was weird. I still had/have hope that I could find someone I could love like that. Madly.

Listen to it here. And enjoy the vid of Pete McNeal (Cake's drummer) and Vince DiFiore (Cake's trumpeter) battling it out in the kitchen.

You can find Cake's official site here.

Scat

No comments:

Post a Comment