Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Faster Than A Rolling "O"

There is hardly any flat, vertical surface in our house that is bare. Squib, or "the artist" as he is referred to on Facebook sometimes, creates so much art that we usually have several exhibits going on at the same time. Much like any museum, we have to rotate our collection in order to allow all our patrons to view them.

Beanstalk views the use of office and art supplies outside the hours of 8 am - 3pm Mon-Fri as being "school related" and has the ability to lean backwards at a ridiculous angle while his feet remain rooted to the floor so as not to touch said school supply. Therefore, no Beanstalk art. He has, however, perfected that face that I imagine all teenagers (even though he's not one yet) have that implies only one thing. "Musicians do not draw, Mom. Jeez. (You uncultured swine)." That last bit was mine, but I'm sure it's coming some day given my lack of enthusiasm for opera. When he learns to huff and roll his eyes my life will be complete.

To my left is the jungle exhibit complete with fox bats. Who knew they had bats in the jungle? The hall of science is on my bedroom door. It takes up both sides of my door. The refrigerator and the freezer are random art samples. I'm allowed some latitude there, so I pick my favorite things plus anything that Beanstalk will sit still for (not much). There is also a hall of dragons (and a few dinosaurs) in the Big Red House since we don't actually have a hall out here.

The refrigerator and freezer. A lesson in controlled chaos at best.
About a month ago, I was rather ill and told Squib I didn't care what he did as long as he didn't destroy anything. I pulled Netflix up along with all the music I could muster and crawled right back in the bed. I woke up to Dinosaur World! It was everywhere. Holy moly. I had no idea a kid could crank out that many dinosaurs in one day. It was almost terrifying. I was rather surprised I didn't have a dino taped to my forehead.

Putting things on the fridge and the freezer is becoming a problem, though, for two reasons. For one, the letter magnets are losing some of their sticktoitiveness. So, they fall off and sometimes the pictures come down with them. Secondly, when the "O" came down today and rolled away in front of me, the Letterman intro started going through my head. You know, from the Electric Company in the '70's?
The culprit.
Faster than a rolling 'O'!
Stronger than a silent 'E'!
Able to leap capital 'T' in a single bound!
It's a word, it's a plan,
It's Letterman!

I laughed 'til I hurt. Good thing I was alone. The kids would have died.
-Scat

No comments:

Post a Comment